Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

How do I dispute information on my credit report?

If you are disputing inaccurate information on your credit report, you can send a written notice to the furnisher, which should provide a mailing address on the credit report, or in a separate notice. This is known as a direct dispute. If the furnisher does not provide an address, you may send the dispute notice to any business address of the furnisher.

You must include the following information in your direct dispute notice:

  • Enough information to identify the account that is in dispute, such as an account number; and your name, address, and telephone number.
  • The specific account information that you are disputing and an explanation of why it is incorrect.
  • All supporting documentation or other information that the furnisher may reasonably need to confirm the dispute. This could include
    • a copy of the relevant section of the credit report,
    • a fraud or identity theft affidavit,
    • a court order, or
    • account statements.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us